What to do first floors or paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon17th

Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum. Doing some home remodeling and wonder what to have done first; flooring (wood and tile) or painting including popcorn removal and dry wall repair? Thanks for all replies
Paul

I would do all the repair and popcorn removal first to get them ready for paint. Then to the floors. Then cover the floors with heavy paper to protect while painting.
We found that doing the floors (we had to sand) created a bunch of dust that got on the walls...that would have been difficult to clean if it was new paint...

My preference is a little different from Hack Jeff ;)

If you aren't sanding wood floors I like to paint, then do floors and trim (prepainted). When I'm done I go back and touch up all the paint/trim as the last thing. I do it that way because I am afraid I would spill paint on the new floors or carpet. (one reason) The other reason is I think its much easier and faster to paint with no trim on the walls.

Thanks guys. Not doing any sanding. So I'll most likely paint then flooring.

We found that doing the floors (we had to sand) created a bunch of dust that got on the walls...that would have been difficult to clean if it was new paint...

Well that's a very good point... So that means that flooring should come first before paint... :D

Latest posts

Back