Adding a 2nd level to an existing house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepashley

Reaction score
Hello,
We are looking at buying a 1949 house in a very good neighbourhood. Size of the house is approximately 1400 sqft ( I am waiting for the realtor to get back to me with that information ) with a lot size of 4,374 sqft. It is a pretty outdated 3 (small) bedroom with 1 bath and a small kitchen towards the back of the house. I have no experience in home improvement/construction and thought I'll just throw it out there to the experts to get an idea of whether this project is even feasible. The house the way it is right now is livable but we need an extra half bath. I would like to see if there is potential for adding an extra level with 2 beds and 1 bath. Also, at some point I'd like to build a garage with internal access. The house does not have a basement . It has a front porch. I know its a very open ended question but any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

And no...it actually depends on many things. That is the smartguy answer.
First, check with your local zoning officials and building inspectors on what you would like to do. Second be prepared to spend lots of money. Bathrooms are the most expensive upgrades on a home. (usually)
If you are on a city water and sewer system this may work out, if you are on well water and septic it may not be possible.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back