Where would I go to get more training?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandladyAV

Reaction score
I have looked all over the web for construction classes in my area.

I got a construction diploma a few years ago that included OSHA training

and some other good things and yet was highly inadequate for me.

I can't possibly afford to go to a regular college and so need

to find some low-cost training somewhere near me. Can anyone tell me

where I might go to find this? :confused:

Landlady:
Quite honestly, as a landlord or landlady, you really don't need to know much about CONSTRUCTION. The vast majority of the work we landlords do is MAINTENANCE and REPAIRS with lots of CLEANING thrown in. And, unfortunately, because of the very broad spectrum of knowledge we need to have, there simply isn't any "training" you can take to become what essentially amounts to a combination handyman/lawyer/accountant specializing in insect control and appliance repair.

What I'd recommend you do is buy a good quality DIGITAL camera and open a free account on at least one photo hosting web site like w w w.photobucket.com

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

so you can post pictures for other people to see there. Then, just Google "DIY Q&A forum" (without the quotes) and you'll find lots of DIY web sites just like this one where you can ask knowledgeable and experienced people about specific problems you're having and show them pictures of the problem so it's easier to communicate. That's a far more efficient and effective way to get the knowledge you need than to learn a bunch of stuff from a training course and then forget most of it because your mind realizes it's not using most of that information.

(Your brain is good housekeeper. It throws out information it doesn't use, even through it knows it might need that same information at some time in the future. So, taking a course in stuff you might need to know isn't a very effective way of learning because you forget most of it by the time you need that info. I'd say, try using the latest technology available, the internet, to get the info you need at the time you need it, just like you're doing now.)

Last edited:
The only way I learn & remember things is by writing everything down & doing it over & over again.
That's why I can't remember how to start a thread on here. I've only done it a few times & now I can't find where to do that.:confused:

The only way I learn & remember things is by writing everything down & doing it over & over again.
That's why I can't remember how to start a thread on here. I've only done it a few times & now I can't find where to do that.:confused:

Every forum at the top left has a button to start a new thread.;)

...I think...

Construction classes so you can be a landlady or landlord? Or, construction classes, so you can go into construction?

For construction, skip the classes. Find someone who you can work for picking up trash, hauling materials, etc and work your way up. It may be called an apreticeship, it may just be called a laborer. Regardless, work and learn.

I watched a beautiful thing last Saturday. A master electrician who had a helper. As he was working he was constantly explaining things to his helper and directing him in different aspects of the project. The helper was asking intelligent questions and not complaining that he had some of the dirty grunt work to do. The helper couldn't have been older than 20.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
How about trying to learn with some inexpensive onlines classes that provide certifications. Or buy a cheap fixer-upper and learn hands on... hah.

Back