Algae on the roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hewood

Reaction score
Has any one found a good product to kill algae and moss on the roof? I have a lot of black algae marks on my roof.

hewood

Last edited:
How much moss is on the roof. I would first suggest leaving it alone. Anything you do will dislodge granules and the granules are the protector of the asphalt of the shingle.

Now if you must try some kind of cleaner, go to your local ABC Roofing supply store and ask for Shingle Shield. Best thing I've found to clean a roof. Apply with a garden sprayer and rinse with a garden hose. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use any form of pressure washer.

I have used a product called Moss & Algae control by Worry Free Brand distributed by Lilly Miller Brands with not much luck. I used it with a hose applicator bottle and left it on for an hour before rinsing it off.
I Thank you for your for your suggestion and will look for that product Shingle Shield.

You can have zinc strips installed at the top of the roof, it will keep the streaks off for good.

A mild solution of bleach perhaps about 50 or 100 to one will work. there is also a product called zomax that works on many surfaces it might work on roofing also.

Latest posts

Back