Duct Cleaning - Does it work?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_fix_it

Reaction score
Scheduled to get my heating ducts blown out and disinfected next week. Has anyone out there had this service done? Would you recommend it? Is it worth $800+ dollars?
Our house is an older home, there is a lot of dust floating around it seems, and the ducts do have dust, lint, etc, in them (can see this when you remove a vent.)
It would seem like a no-brainer to get it done. Any feedback on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks

My:2cents:, Blowing out does minimal at best to clean the duct.
You need a company that cuts holes in the duct and actually wipes it all down to get the nasties out.I know , hard to believe, but it really is the only effective way. Otherwise it is just spent $$ for a rinse job.
Good luck.

Scheduled to get my heating ducts blown out and disinfected next week. Has anyone out there had this service done? Would you recommend it? Is it worth $800+ dollars?
Our house is an older home, there is a lot of dust floating around it seems, and the ducts do have dust, lint, etc, in them (can see this when you remove a vent.)
It would seem like a no-brainer to get it done. Any feedback on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks

I am a heating dealer and i took out a oil furnace that had put soot through the house. they had a co. come in and clean the house and ducts. I asked the co. if they wanted me to take some ducts apart so they could clean them better, and they said no. A few days later when i went back to put new furnace in, i put my hand up inside the duct and my hand came out with black wet soot all over it.
Paul

I've never once seen it work.
After a hurricane flooded homes in our area the duct cleaning company swarmed like Locusts. We where in the homes that the duct work had been full of water and not once did I see them remove a single duct to clean it. Same thing with smoke damage after a fire, they reached as far as there arm would let them with a rag and that was it.
Far better to spend your money on a humidifier, better filters, an eletro static filter, and filters that go inside the heating vents. Keep the windows closed so outside dust does not get sucked in.

Last edited:
Back