Moisture meter questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excav

Reaction score
I wasn't shure where to put this so I put it here.
I'm on the property committee at our church. We have a large building built in 1913. The exterior walls are cut stone blocks about 10" thick on the outside with probably 12" cement block on the inside ( or whatever they used back then) with a plaster finish on the inside. We have had a lot of trouble with the inside of the north wall as long as anyone can remember.
About 3 years ago we hired a contractor to repoint the outside of the church, find any leaks replace the roof and repair the inside and paint. We spent a lot of money. Also he was supposed to seal the outside with a breathable sealer.
Lately I have noticed some suspicious looking spots on the north wall. The reasoning for the repairs 3 years ago was a leaking roof, lack of sealer and open mortar joints making the walls soggy. I again suspect wet walls ----
Finally to the questions- I checked the wall with a ryobi moisture meter on the wall range and got readings as high as 70%. I checked the same spots on the masonry setting and get 0%.
What is the correct setting for this wall? I checked one spot by drilling two 1/16" holes into the plaster and using a meter with pins and got 0%, with the pinless ryobi I get nearly 60%.
If the wall is not wet why can't we keep plaster on this wall?
Sorry this was so long but I thought it was necessary.
excav

Moisture readings can often be misleading. Humidity inside the building, exterior migration thru walls, leaking gutters, leaking plumbing, windows/doors, all have to be systematically eliminated. A thermal imaging camera would aid in identifying hidden moisture.

It is extremely important to maintain a constant temperature and continuous air circulation.

Excellent point! I've seen buildings with oversized air units that had mold issues because the unit didn't run long enough to remove humidity in the building. Any system in the building needs to be looked at to identify the issue. Moisture always migrates to a cool surface, just like the mirror in the bathroom after taking a shower.

Back