Plywood for Bathroom Walls and Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTooDeep

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a fixer upper house and have gutted the bathroom to the studs. I have a friend who is helping me build up a new one. He is a very intelligent guy and knows a ton about home renovations but he is insisting to put 1/2" plywood panels around the tub enclosure (I will be using a 3 piece acrylic tub enclosure glued to the plywood) and then 1" plywood screwed to the current subfloor to put the tiling over.

I have done some research on this however and have found that plywood in bathrooms could be a problem.

Is this something that is commonly done? Should I be worried about going this route and insist on using cement board instead?

Thanks for any help on this.

I'd stick with cement backer board. Anything else and you are just asking for trouble.

Welcome to the site. Three peice plastic tub suround or three peice tub?
1" plywood over sub floor seems a bit much, whats the reasoning? usually backer over subfloor is enough?

Are you using an interlocking shower surround with nailing flange that gets attached to studs? Or a cheap panel that is meant to be glued on to old wall? You should be installing a surround that gets attached directly to studs.

Three piece plastic tub surround. So the tub and right wall, left wall, back wall. Reason for using 1 inch plywood is to get the floor leveling right, for the vent cover and toilet.

It's an interlocking tub surround.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Home Repair mobile app

Been there done that. Took out a 1" cement subfloor and had to makeup the difference. Maybe use 1/2" plywood with 1/2" cement board taking care to offset the seams?

No need for plywood then . They are made to screw on to studs. Dont see how it will hurt either. Studs need to be at certain places for attachment also shower doors need extra studs. So if he is adding plywoood to avoid adding studs that could work but it should be 3/4 plywood. Also the whole wall will need to be cover because drywall needs to go over nailing flanges. Best just to follow manufactures directions and add studs. Especially for shower door.

The three peice plastic tub thingy does need backing like plywood or something but what I have seen the glue is a joke and they don't stand up well. Maybe they are better now??

Back