Gang box

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would however, he did tell me personally that this house was the fewest problems of any house he has inspected in the last 10 years. He said he had to dig really hard to just find something to write on the report to make the buyer feel they got their money's worth! He also dinged me on a shallow spot in a 2" section of mortar on my block wall. He must like picking fly poop out of pepper.

He said he had to dig really hard to just find something to write on the report to make the buyer feel they got their money's worth!

Exactly. They have to justify their fee by finding some issue the buyer can use to negotiate a lower price.

I know some hard arse inspectors will ding you for opening up a flame intrusion area. I'm glad you called because I would have waited until he was done with his inspection.

(Speaking of inspections, I am currently selling my house. The new buyer ordered an inspection on this property. He came yesterday and dinged me because two of my can lights in the ceiling were touching the insulation. Funny thing is these can lights are IC rated, and both contain LED lightbulbs. Oh well, instead of griping, I crawled up there today and moved two cubic inches of fiberglass insulation that was touching it.)

I was thinking the same (to wait after inspection and cause my contractor headache). Since the city has two different inspectors. I called the inspector that came out two prior times (roof and foundation inspection). He did ask how much they weigh, but I said its a few pounds.

I also asked about the low voltage wires distance apart with the power line. He said he doesn't check for that but recommended they should not be close due to possible interference.

I have read the NEC and its like a bible. Something with 2" apart if coaxial and not in the same raceway.

Last edited:
Yeah, for better sound, speaker wires should run a different path than all other wiring. At least that is what the experts say.

Yeah, for better sound, speaker wires should run a different path than all other wiring. At least that is what the experts say.

This has become almost a video/audio thread.

Since this is a new construction. would you build a box to house the ceiling speakers? I have the scraps and the tools.

I bought a nice pair of BW 663 ceiling speaker.

You may get better bass with building a box for the speakers, but I found out that without a box, you seem to not only hear the sounds, but feel the sounds as well all throughout the room. On the wall speakers, the sound is confined only between the studs, so it gives the effect of a box without having to actually build a box. I've also seen alot of professional sound system companies who do not use boxes with ceiling installations, so there must be a reason for this.

You may get better bass with building a box for the speakers, but I found out that without a box, you seem to not only hear the sounds, but feel the sounds as well all throughout the room. On the wall speakers, the sound is confined only between the studs, so it gives the effect of a box without having to actually build a box. I've also seen alot of professional sound system companies who do not use boxes with ceiling installations, so there must be a reason for this.

That is what I read too. No box for me:D

Back