Running wire for my Generator

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleDIY

Reaction score
I have a box to hook up my generator to my house. Since my panel is in my home and not in the garage,when I use it I have to feed the wire out a window. Not too quiet and a pita.

I am planning to put a plug on the exterior and wire it to the box inside. I will be using 10/3 with ground.

The question is,since I will be running it inside the walls,would it be wise to run the iwre in flex conduit for protection??

Apparently my response has to be more than 10 letters long.

Answer to your question: Yes.

No - Wire inside the walls does not need to be in conduit. On the surface of the wall outside its a good idea.

I have a box to hook up my generator to my house. Since my panel is in my home and not in the garage,when I use it I have to feed the wire out a window. Not too quiet and a pita.

I am planning to put a plug on the exterior and wire it to the box inside. I will be using 10/3 with ground.

The question is,since I will be running it inside the walls,would it be wise to run the iwre in flex conduit for protection??

I hope the "panel" you mentioned is a real transfer switch or a main service panel equipped with a transfer switch kit. And have you resolved the neutral/ground bonding issue for your installation? PM me if you have questions about either........:)

thanks for the reply. it is a 30amp transfer switch made by Energen.

It is perfectly acceptable to run MC cable inside a wall.
The question was "would it be wise".
The added protection of MC sheilding is always better than romex but, not necessary and not against code.

Back