Wall color for my kitchen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
My kitchen walls are white, cabinets are white, hardwood floor, and darker taupe colored counter tops. I want to add some color by painting the walls but I'm having a difficult time choosing a color. I want something warm and inviting but what do I choose to coordinate with purple-y counters?

Do you have a pic? Hard to imagine the countertop color. You want nothing too dark since you have white cabinets. Possibly a lighter shade of the counter color?

Thank you for responding so quickly, ciera! I took a couple of pictures and I'll try to get them up on here if I can figure it out. I did lay a piece of purple fabric on the counter and realized that it's more eggplant then purple.

Hello Tess:
There are several warm yellows that could lighten the room, blend with the other colors and (supposedly) make people hungry.
Looking forward to the pictures.
Glenn

Go hot pink with neon green trim, that will be a good eye burn to wake u up in the morning when your making coffee and stuff !!!!!!

Hi tess,
i think you should try sky blue this time it gives a decent touch.

Hi tess,
i think you should try sky blue this time it gives a decent touch.

I apparently chose some type of sky blue when I first painted my kitchen. It wasn't my fault, I swear - I am coor blind enough that the small swatch looked tan. The walls certainly didn't.

In my opinion, sky blue on the walls looked awful in my kitchen.

Hello, Tess. I wouldn't have believed it myself if my wife didn't insist on it, but if you have a bad case of white kitchen syndrome (wks), then go bold!

2008-03-29KitchenSinkAreaSmall.jpg

Repainting7.jpg

We went with a shade of some tuscan green that my wife dreamed up and it worked against our white walls, white cabinets, taupish countertops and light floor.

Here's what we had to work with when we bought the house:

House11.jpg

House10.jpg

The change is dramatic, yet when standing in the kitchen it feels warm, modern, and yet rich and... uh, I'm out of words. Splash in some cherry wood stuff, deep reds, some tuscan oranges, and you have some boldness.

Anyways, that's my suggestion. If you're gonna go, go all the way!

Warm colors are all values of reds, oranges, and yellows. If your kitchen isn't too small, warm colors will make it look cozy and inviting. If it is too small, however, it will make your kitchen appear really small!

Eggplant/yellow reminds me too much of a Mexican cantina - I think Eggplant/Burgundy would be pretty.

Everytime we paint a kitchen for someone, we always go with a warm color (light shade obviously) like joenuzx said, to make it look cozy and inviting.

I might be too late with this post, what color did you go with?

My kitchen walls are white, cabinets are white, hardwood floor, and darker taupe colored counter tops. I want to add some color by painting the walls but I'm having a difficult time choosing a color. I want something warm and inviting but what do I choose to coordinate with purple-y counters?

You should try Pink plum. It will suite your kitchen most.

Back