hey i need some help! :(

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neezil

Reaction score
hello! i just recently moved into my first condo. I have a couple light bulbs out I need to replace. when I went to replace it, the stupid glass cover was stuck and the whole light fixture came out of the ceiling thingy. 2 questions
1.) how do i fix that?
2.) as i went to the other light fixture that glass cover is also stuck. how do I loosen that sucker up?
(all the lights in my condo except for the kitchen, bathroom and dining room have these lights.. it is round, it all contains 3 lights inside, and the glass portion of it twists off.)
would love some advice or tips thank you. . .btw everything is nere has been very helpful! thanks

pl

Last edited:
Welcome Neezil ... Like most condo newbies, you have discovered the construction term: "thingy." No need to panic. We will get you through this. :D

First, take some pics and post them. It helps to ID which "thingy" you are trying to fix.
Second, once you figure out how to fix one, the rest will be a breeze.

OK. Deep breath, post pics, help is on the way ...

Charge.jpg

CallMeVilla said:
Welcome Neezil ... Like most condo newbies, you have discovered the construction term: "thingy." No need to panic. We will get you through this. :D

First, take some pics and post them. It helps to ID which "thingy" you are trying to fix.
Second, once you figure out how to fix one, the rest will be a breeze.

OK. Deep breath, post pics, help is on the way ...

hi thak ypu so much! so how do post pics?

Load your photo on your computer.
When writing a quick reply, which I am doing right now. just below is a box that says Manage Attachments
Click on that box. Another box comes up, click on Browse and find the photo on your computer and click on it. Then click Upload.
When you click on Post Quick Responce the picture will show up

Have you manage to get any of the glass covers off?
How do you know it screws on/off?
The thingy fix will come after you separate the glass from the metal (possible that you just unscrewed the base keyholes from the electrical box.
If you need to, make sure to turn the power off at the breaker and remove the wiring to the fixture and bring to a bench top to make it easier to work on.

neezil said:
hello! i just recently moved into my first condo. I have a couple light bulbs out I need to replace. when I went to replace it, the stupid glass cover was stuck and the whole light fixture came out of the ceiling thingy. 2 questions
1.) how do i fix that?
2.) as i went to the other light fixture that glass cover is also stuck. how do I loosen that sucker up?
(all the lights in my condo except for the kitchen, bathroom and dining room have these lights.. it is round, it all contains 3 lights inside, and the glass portion of it twists off.)
would love some advice or tips thank you. . .btw everything is nere has been very helpful! thanks

pl

ok so i posted the picture of the lights

kok328 said:
Have you manage to get any of the glass covers off?
How do you know it screws on/off?
The thingy fix will come after you separate the glass from the metal (possible that you just unscrewed the base keyholes from the electrical box.
If you need to, make sure to turn the power off at the breaker and remove the wiring to the fixture and bring to a bench top to make it easier to work on.

hello tank you for reponding sorry for e late reply

1. i did get one off awhile back to change the light bulb and that was about 4 months ago
2. thhis is how I know it screws off.
3. how do i know that I seperated the glass from the metal?
. . omg i ho i can fix this . i am pretty good with my hands and once I see it done I can pretty much get it done . (like my 55 plasma tv.. . never mounted a tv on a dry wall boefore amd just by luck I happen to run into step by step on mounting flat screens. .needless to say I did a most awesome job.

anyways getting sidetrackd here. .focus. lights. . i posted the pics hope they were some help.thanks again

I just put one up that looks quite a bit like yours and the glass unscrews just as you said. Not really a thread more of a bayonet mounting. One quarter turn and it’s off. Make sure you are twisting counter clockwise. I had mine on and off no problem.

OK, now that I see the pics, the original post you made makes sense.

If you rotated the glass AND the metal ring, there is a good chance you dislodged the fixture from the two long screws which hold the fixture onto the hanging bar. NO PANIC. Just remove the glass from the base plate (aka "thingy") ... using your screw driver, back the two screws out a few turns to lengthen them ... replace the dead bulbs ... reattach the base plate by aligning its holes with the screws ... tighten the screws to hold the base plate onto the ceiling ... reattach the glass by rotating it 1/4 turn.

Make sense??

This is a video for Dummies ... which you are NOT.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN_7LC8j2-s[/ame]

CallMeVilla said:

If you rotated the glass AND the metal ring, there is a good chance you dislodged the fixture from the two long screws which hold the fixture onto the hanging bar. NO PANIC. Just remove the glass from the base plate (aka "thingy") ... using your screw driver, back the two screws out a few turns to lengthen them ... replace the dead bulbs ... reattach the base plate by aligning its holes with the screws ... tighten the screws to hold the base plate onto the ceiling ... reattach the glass by rotating it 1/4 turn.

Make sense??

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN_7LC8j2-s

Amazing! thank you will try to do this today. I need to shut off the switches correct? ok i like how you use my terminology. . lol. .aka thingy! thanks this i s sooo awesome! this obviously is going to my new favorite hang out. im sure you will be hearing alot from me! thanks again!
Renee

CallMeVilla said:

Make sense??

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN_7LC8j2-s

ok just got done watching video. .when the base plate of the fixture came undone from the ceiling I did not see the screws that attached itself to the ceiling. just a square hole and wires. . aw man, . . this is going to be a project. . what if the previous owners did a crappy quick fit and didnt have a base to attach the lights to? ok well im going to take a closer lok now that i have a good idea of what i am doing! this is fun for me. . lol. . wooohoooo (and yes when it comes to be being handy for a home i am a dummy. . lol) hahaha

ok so i still havent taken cAre of the lights and in the mean time another light bulb has gone out. . only this time the one that went out is way taller than my ladder.. i thought maybe i could get up there if I put the ladder on the bed. sigh. . . this has been extremely difficult for me I am not even 5"1', i am afraid of heights and Unfortunately the man of the house is always working. i am very handy except when it comes to things like this. . im kind of afraid of electricuting myself. .lol. .ok i know I am a big sisssy . . either way ..i have to do this today I have no lights upstairs... .any last pointers before I do this. l( haha inact like this is a major hoge ordeal. .) ok thanks dor everyones advice. I am going to watch the video again and try this. I already know which swotch cuts off the electricity.

Hey Neezil, don't panic. I'd like to see a pic of the "square hole" if you can post it. If the base plate came off, logic tells us it was ATTACHED somehow. So, a pic of the underside of the base plate would be helpful too.

If the lights are off, you might be OK ... Not gonna get you shocked! Often poeple will shut off the breaker just to make sure. I get the sense you have no clue how to do that.

First, change the bulbs where you can manage it (where the base plates did NOT come off). That gives you some light. Obviously, you will NOT have the lights on while you are working on the other lights !!

Second, once we can see the base plate and attachment mechanism, replacing the base plates will be easy. Just remember to take off the glass cover before trying to put the base plate back up !!

Third, you need a stable ladder. If you have a lousy wooden ladder, it could scare anyone. Fiberglass or metal are your best bets.

I will send you a private message to speed this process

bud16415 said:
I just put one up that looks quite a bit like yours and the glass unscrews just as you said. Not really a thread more of a bayonet mounting. One quarter turn and it’s off. Make sure you are twisting counter clockwise. I had mine on and off no problem.

hi bud thank you for your feedback i tried to turn one of the lights that were out and apparently i turned it too hard because it came detached from the ceiling. . lol. .tok me forever to screw it back in until i fifgure out what to do. then i tried to turn the other light that is out and it would not come off. .. so here I am now i have 3 lights out. .lol. . i will do it I just would like to have someone here to hold my hand. .lol. . well hold the ladder. . .while I do this . . i am pretty clumsy so I jsut dont trust myself to do this alone now that it has hecome complicated.

Back