Moisture in basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncWaa

Reaction score
I'm experiencing moisture along the base of one of my basement walls. Bottom course of bricks are moist. Is there any recommended solution short of trenching the exterior wall? Would be willing to try any new product. Thanks.

Waterproofing the outside and a perimiter drain is the fix that would last. Sometime just deverting downspouts from the roof helps. If you have perimeter drains that are not plugged a sump pump can be added to move water away from the house. If non of that works for you, then it's digging a trench on the inside with a sump pump, drill holes in the wall to drain the cavities and apply a barrier to the wall to keep the moisture out of the basement. Welcome to the site.

I agree make sure all your downspouts are divert away from the house and that your gutters are not filled with debris. I've heard that doing the exterior drainage systems are pricey as they have to go through landscaping and front or back porches if you have them. I have moisture in my basement and they recommend an interior drainage system. Basically they dig up the perimeter of the basement on the inside and install piping/a collection system to drain to a sump pump. I heard waterproof paint doesn't help but idk...I want to try it anyway.

Back