tar paper? plastic?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekm

Reaction score
Redoing my bathroom now.

The previous owner apparently decided he did not like the hardwood floors so he stuck, linoleum on it, then particle board down on top of that, and then linoleum, then some more linoleum. In the bathroom. Picture here.

After removing the floor up to the door, I figured I'd ask the experts for some advice. :)

Anywho, with two little ones, it's easier to plan ahead if I can't work behind a closed door.

Will the hardwood floor probably continue smoothly into the hallway? It is original floor.

There was tarpaper over the subfloor which I guess saved if from the swollen, wet particle board. Do I put tarpaper back down over the subfloor or go with 6mil plastic sheet?

Hello Derekm:
I would go with the 6 mil plastic (black). They both serve the same purpose.... the plastic just does it better and without any joints.
I would expect the hardwood to run into the hallway.
Glenn

Are you tiling the floor or going back with linoleum.

If you are tiling the floor, you'll have a better transition to the hall if you remove the hardwood flooring to the subfloor, then install a 1/2" backer, then install your tile.

going back with linoleum on top of 3/4 plywood.

thanks for the responses.

Back