How are old tubs held in??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUzj

Reaction score
I have a tub in our bathroom, 1940-1960's that is about 3/4" off center, if I leave it where it sets, I will have to space one side of the tile out into the tub area and the shower head side can remain even with the wall.

I would like to know how these tubs are commonly held in? is it just weight? or the walls built around it?.. I think we may be stuck where it is on account of the tub drain, but if I have the chance to move it, I probably will...

otherwise I will probably build the wall of each end out and try to use some cool edging in that 3/4-1" space.

photo
house+4.JPG

not 100% sure what you are saying, but here goes. on old tubs where old tile was used they bedded the walls about one inch deep with mud to accept the tile. when you tear this out in modern day we use 1/2" backer board. the end result is you have a 5' tub with a 5' 2" opening. more or less. you need to get creative with what answer suits you best. yes, trim molding at the bottom of the tile around the tub may be the answer. you can put a sheet of plywood on before the backer board and "fir out" to get where you want. you may find you have to make a cap piece for the edge instead of a regular cap because of the thickness you made it by overcoming this couple of inches. if i am remodeling the whole room instead of just the tub i usually fir both end walls out or one if it can be done to make it look good and as normal as possible. most everyone who tears out an old ceramic tiled cast iron tub runs into this. just use common sense to get it right. thanks, budro

the tub is usually installed just by weight. on the back 5' wall of the tub you will usually find three or four 2x4 wedges under the lip of the tub nailed off to the wall studs. the top end is cut at a slight angle so the installer could tap it in tight and level the tub at the same time. after positioning it is nailed off and left there forever. thanks again, budro

Latest posts

Back