Tub surround trouble

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michele

Reaction score
Installed a one piece tub surround and found out when we went to caulk around the tub that there is a portion of the surround that didn't get glued to the bath tub lip properly and now "gives" or flexes when pushed on. Very concerned that the caulking will not hold. We aren't able to get under the edge at all to reinforce it. Does anyone know of a product or solution to help??

I don't know of the fix for that one. I can throw out an untested idea. At least untested for me.

You could mask the area really well and inject something in the crack like foam and let it set up.

I put in a basement shower once and when all done the floor felt soft and bendy. I shot a couple cans of great stuff foam in the space and it firmed right up.

If you get that stuff on the surface you will never get it off. That's why I said to mask it off.

Others may come along with better ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I think Bud's suggestion is a good one.Need to make sure all of your walls are in good shape and solid before installing these surrounds .If you try the Great stuff foam make sure you use the non expanding for doors and windows.Blue lid I think.If you put the expanding foam in it will push the surround out and you'll have more of a problem.

Good point Mako1. I know in the old days the can foam could really exert some force. I haven't noticed it swell so much lately. It will really keep growing though outside the opening and can make a mess.

Thanks for your suggestions!!! Only working with 1/16" crack on the bottom of the surround so not even enough room to put the nozzle for the foam I don't think. Have thought of cutting it a bit to help but don't want to go from bad to worse. Thanks

Any way of getting to it from the back side? One of my tubs backs to a closet. A small hand hole is pretty easy to patch.

The can foam comes with a long tube that should fit in that 1/16 gap.

Back