Conduit issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdiener

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am taking out some hardwood in my foyer so that I can add tile instead. The house was built in the 50's and the hardwood is on top of perpendicular slats, sitting on top of 1x10 subfloor. My plan was to remove hardwood and slats and then add plywood, cement board and then tile to even out the height - however, there is electrical conduit running under the hardwood, between the slats.

Rerunning conduit will not be easy - take up the rest of the subfloor and drill through the joists (might have to double them up). The room below is finished (too bad not drop ceiling in that room).

I think the answer is NO, but is there anyway I can leave the conduit where it is and add the 3/4 plywood as subfloor right up to the conduit and then add cement board and tile over both the plywood and the conduit?

Hoping someone can save me some work - getting the house ready to host Christmas and I don't want to get coal in my stocking

Thanks
Matt

I don't see any reason not to do it that way. Just remember to mark where the conduit is so you don't screw into it when putting down the backer board. I'm assuming it's .50 or .75 conduit so you won't have any issue spanning it with the cement board and tile.

Works for me also.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I assume this is not an inspected job. :D

In a sense, your new floor will be stronger than the original. I am guessing the conduit runs perpendicular to the 1x10s and you are butting the plywood up to the conduit on both sides. The cement board goes on top of that subfloor ...

As Beachguy said, make sure you don't drill into the conduit and you should be fine.

Appreciate everyone's feedback! I've started moving forward and all looks good.

Thanks for the quick answers - a Merry Christmas to all!!

Thanks
Matt

Back