Replacing light socket on ceiling light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulf615

Reaction score
The rating is the same and phenolic sockets have been used for years. My only issue would be if the mounting is compatible.

The mounting? Like the clip on the side because they both have that and i believe i can mount them into the fixture the same way.

If they both mount the same then go for it. What happened to the old one that made you want to change it?

If they both mount the same then go for it. What happened to the old one that made you want to change it?

The old one wouldn't work when a light bulb was put into it so i tested the socket and it was getting powered. After calling a relative who is an electrician we determined the bottom of the socket had been burned. He said it could have been because the light bulbs weren't put in tight enough

Last edited:
I don't think you have a problem using it,

Replaced it yesterday and its working fine. I was just a little unsure and i wanted to make sure i had the right thing because i know electricity can get dangerous if done wrong.

What is important is the power should come into the button in the center and the socket is neutral. So with the bulb out or dead the is no power to touch easily.
Sometimes the metal on the bulb is different than the socket and that causes trouble.

Back