Changing up the back yard.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No but the wood will get wet evertime he washes the concrete and will not be able to dry fast. $40 now or a n ugle fix later.

Window will come out before sheeting. Was gonna use treated on the bottom but I have not had a bit of luck with the new California acceptable treated wood. It falls apart faster than plain Doug fir. I miss the days of chromated copper arsenate. I think they use hemp fir now and when they inject it it compromises the wood itself. Every single one I used on my fence is tearing itself apart and splintering to pieces. I don't get it.

I am ok with the DF on the concrete, heck we get about two days of rain a year.

Definitely just a surface stain. Not gonna finish the inside. Just shelves with crap on them.

I agree osb anywhere else would fall apart. We don't have moisture here.

OSB in a shed in NJ would last about a week,,,

It's great stuff, you buy 1/2 and two weeks later it just turns into 3/4 inch, no extra charge but it never delaminates so we never have to remove it and replace it.
Adventech flooring looks like OSB can be out in the rain for up to six weeks before a house can be water tight and it never swells up and is never a problem and much easier to put down than plywood. Plywood is subject to the plant it came from, some good, some not so much.

Osb does great in this area. It is also rated for some exposure before being covered but I can't remember how long.

If we built homes like they do back east they would either last forever or fall apart because they dried out.

Hows the lumber down there we build mostly with wet lumber because you can straighten it as you build. The bad part of summer here is the lumber dries out and is really hard to deal with.

Same here. It's all green when it hit the yard and you have to built quick before it starts twisting and warping.

When it get around 80 here we call it Augest lumber but then when it freezes in the winter it splits when you nail it. Then the rest of the time it just rains.

I think a house in a dry climate must cost a fraction of house in wet climate.

It is so wet around here nobody uses sprinklers in the summer, we are just hoping the ground will dry out. Today was first hot and muggy day of the whole summer and probably the last.
In the winter it snows every day and requires shoveling. Spring run offs can cause problems.

The monsoon is ending soon in Goa and they will build some seasonal huts.

I bet they cost about the same. We just have different issues to deal with.

Did some more work on the shed before work today.

BTW that Lowes siding is pretty crappy, it doesn't sit flat to save it's life. I should have gone with a good PLY T1-11 over this pressboard looking stuff. Looks like I'm gonna have to seal the heck out of it.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

Seal the heck out of any cut edged pieces... that is where they wick the water.

Latest posts

Back