how can i fix the damage to a interior hallow door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor43

Reaction score
Would something like bondo filler work ?

IMG_20160301_020448.jpg

IMG_20160229_053125.jpg

IMG_20160222_104506.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. I use auto body filler (Polyester resin)all the time for stuff like that. Bondo has no fiber in it and won’t add strength if that is required. There are body fillers that have fiberglass mixed in duraglas is a common one with short fiber. Tiger hair has longer fiber.

When it comes to sanding and priming and painting proceed the same as a car body.

Another tip I learned most don’t know is that bondo can be thinned using the clear fiberglass resin that is also polyester without the filler that is in bondo. It is the stuff you mix up and cover fiberglass cloth with to make a repair. Thin it and add the hardener as normal and use a throw away gas card or gift card as a spreader. Works great for very thin skim coats.

The OP could buy a new door for about 50 bucks. Would need to have tools to set the old knob into the new door and also the hinges. Then paint. He would also need a truck or something large to haul the door home and a way to get rid of the old door. Agree that would be a good repair method.

If he has the bondo and the tools to work on a car repair I think you could patch and sand that repair and have it painted so you couldn’t find the patch in less time than you could go to home depot and buy the door.

you can buy the door at home depot for 29 dollars i' thinking it's a 2/6 door or 30 inches,but again you have to cut the knob hole and hinges it's hard to hide a hole like that completely good luck

Or for a little more you could find a door shop that will sell the door and drill holes and cut in hinges to match the old one.

Back