3 position switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KEITH

Reaction score
I have a strange situation. Easiest way to explain, let's say I have some lights hooked up to a timer and need to run the lights either manual on, timer control, or totally off. I'm thinking of something like a 3way switch with a center off. I know I can get an on/off/on toggle switch but want to know if anyone has seen this in a regular wall switch configuration.

Not for home use, I haven't seen one.
The timer could be wired in parallel with a regular switch. That if the switch was on the light would be on. If the timer was on the light would be on. If the switch is off the timer will still turn the light on.
Not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

I think I may have to go with a toggle or rocker switch. I am basically want a 3 position switch that can be labeld auto/off/on where auto is wired in with the timer. I know I can do it with 2 switches 1 auto/off the other on/off but not what I want.

I did this for my attic fan, but ended up using a three position toggle switch. Since the electrical box was in a closet I didn't mind the appearance of the toggle switch.

Back