Those darned dandelions!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunty

Reaction score
I have a trillion dandelions on grass. I have hired pros before. Not much help there. How do i get rid of them. Yes, all trillion. No sense saving any of the little buggers!

Seems to be the year for these darn weeds. They are the most adaptable weed know to man. They will actually learn to grow low to avoid being mowed. I have used Weed-B-Gone concentrate spray by Scotts (mixed extra strong), Weed and Feed by Vigiro and many other types of weed killer with failing results. I'm to the point of hiring the pros. I think they have access to a much stronger chemical. You won't be able to get rid of them with just one or two applications but, may take a few years using the pros and then you'll be in a better position to handle it DIY. The problem I'm having is that they don't die quick enough to avoid going to seed and then they just come back 10 fold after the seeds take root in the remainder of the lawn. If your neighbors don't take care of their weeds, the seeds will also go airborn and land in your yard.

In the instructions on weed and feed, they want the grass to be damp when applied so the weed killer part stick to the broad life plants. A lot of people miss that detail.

Bunty said:
I have a trillion dandelions on grass. I have hired pros before. Not much help there. How do i get rid of them. Yes, all trillion. No sense saving any of the little buggers!

So then how did you do it?

Apply the weed & feed in the morning before the dew dries up.

If you dont want to use chemicals, get an electric drill and 3/8 auger bit, drill down into the tap root about 8 inches......or get small metal screw on caps, press down on to dandelion until it cuts thru leaves and leave for a month or so,just be sure you can find it again after........maybe paint it a bright color?

I had this problem some years ago. I used Scotts Weed B Gone and sprayed my entire yard very heavily. It takes a little while for them to die but will start swiveling in a day or two. The time to do this is when they are smaller and not produced their seeds.

Then you have to keep a watch on your yard and when you see one coming up from seeds use your tool that goes down toward the room and cut it off and pull it up.

I am just about dandalion free except for the ones that blow in from neighbors yard. I also get them out of the neighbors yard if I see any.

It just takes keeping an eye on your lawn.

I also use Scotts Lawncare that comes every other month and puts out fertilized and weed control.

Hope this helps but the job is not easy.

Tom

Go to a farm supply store and pickup some 24D Works on all broad leaf plants but does not touch the grass.

Go to a farm supply store and pickup some 24D Works on all broad leaf plants but does not touch the grass.

Scott's Weed B Gon Max has this ingredient and you can buy it at Lowe's or Home Depot. It also has two other ingredients which also help.

This way I know you will be safe. That is what I use.

Tom

Back