Attic Insulation Baffles?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montelatrics

Reaction score
I just had insulation installed in my attic, and I was wondering if the picture I took looks like everything was done right. I'm in Minnesota. I guess I thought that there should be baffles between the tresses? If anyone knows, I would appreciate it. A photo is attached.

Pic didn't work. On the reply screen, scroll down to attachments and upload a photo from your computer. Let me know if you have any problems.

I don't see any baffles. Was the contractor supposed to install them? The slope doesn't look very steep so I'm guessing there's no side attic - do you have soffit vents?

Yes there are soffit vents. All of the tresses look like the one pictured. The roof is not very steep, it's a crouch-and-crawl at the highest point in the middle.

In a cold area there should have been proper vents in every rafter space, so you don't get
ice build up .Who ever did this job should have told you about this. You might have to take
the soffit apart to get them in, but you realy need them. later paul

As Paul has refereed to, proper vents should have been installed in each rafter bay. This is important not only in winter to help eliminate ice damming but also in summer to allow for attic air evacuation. This will keep the attic area cooler and also keep you in compliance with your shingle MFG requirements for material warranty. Make sure the area is free of obstructions that will inhibit air movement.

I didn't instal baffles when I did mine for one reason, my roof pitch is so shallow that I simply couldn't fit to install them. So I just made sure not to fill the voids between the rafters with insulation.

I'd wait a little while and watch for ice-damming signs. The blown f.g. will move around from the vents if the attic draws them, watch for that first. Hopefully you air sealed the attic before adding f.g.(my last choice of insulation).
As said, you may lose the shingle warranty and lose 5-7 years of the roof life before replacing.
How to Seal Attic Air Leaks | The Family Handyman

What's the value of ventilation | March 2002 | Professional Roofing Magazine

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2002/rose02a.pdf

Gary

Back