Hey from Indiana:)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joda

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:) This site is just what I need maybe I can get some answers too my dielma's haha!

Anyway I have an old house and my venting from my furnace goes up into the pull downstairs attic when it rains I hear this drip drip drip coming down!! I know I need too I probably need too get new piping up into the attic but pinching pennies like everyone else.

What can I do about the drip it's also rusting the pipes I was going too just put some duck tape on and around the pipe but didn't want that too maybe catch fire I don't know can anyone here advice.
Tks joda:):)

Welcome Joda:
We are very happy to have you and we offer you all the help at our abilities.
Your furnace vent should be double walled, class B vent pipe. It has an aluminum pipe inside, about a 3/8" air space and a galvanized metal cover. It is supposed to have a one inch clearance from any combustible material.
On your roof, looking at the top of the vent, there should be a 'cap' (they come in several styles, like an oriental's hat, 4 shaded vents, or just another layer with vertical splits around the pipe and a flat top), next there should be a 'rain ring' that fits the pipe very closely, and the 'pitched roof flashing'. The most likely place for a leak is at the rain ring since it just fits snugly around the pipe; silicone caulk around the top of the 'rain ring' should stop your leak. You might also look for exposed nail heads in the flashing and dab them with silicone too.
You are correct, the duct tape is unsafe in this application because it is combustible. I hope it works out well for you and you are welcome to any more questions.
Glenn

:)
Thanks Glenn as soon as I can get one of my grandsons over here I will follow the steps you gave me I appreciate your replies and if I every have another question I will come straight here:))

Tky joda:):)

Back