Help Mud Issues

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPISurfer

Reaction score
Do I need more mud around my window and openings? Here is a picture with the 10" knife see the light shining through? I'd really like to move this along, but I'll do what must be done.

CIMG0044.jpg

In almost every job I've every checked there has been some gap like yours around corners. How big is the actual gap at the center of the knife? If everything is smooth and gradual you may be okay. Perhaps try using a sandable primer on the wall then hold a spotlight at various angles to see if it casts an objectionable shadow. Don't use regular paint or primer (unless it is sandable) because it won't sand down and you need to be able to sand after applying more mud.
hth, Doug

Last edited:
Doug,
Thanks! We went ahead and primed. It looks great! We just have never done this before -- need lots of affirmation. Here's the results in this room.

CIMG0045.jpg

SPI, the room looks good! I usually use a halogen work light to "shadow" the drywall work. The shadow reveals areas that are going to show up when primed. Of course, an internet photo doesn't show up close detail but from what I can see you are certainly headed the right direction with your project! Post up more picts of the finished project so we can see how it all turned out!
Thanks, Doug

Latest posts

Back