I need some help and advice really quick!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can caulk fix a hole in a foundation?

• Yes

• Only sometimes

• Rarely

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Stucco or parging hide any real problems with the foundation. The window likely and mmost often leak as a result of poor flashing above it. Is there a drain in that window well or does it fill with water?

So far as I know that's what to 2010 "gravel" fix was. An attempt to improve drainage in the window well. But aside from the dirt and gravel, no there not any kind of drain.

That's what I think the HOA was trying to improve by digging a little and adding more gravel.

The window well doesn't fill considerably with water, but puddles do form quickly. I have never seen more than I'd say a 1/4-1/2" of water puddled up, and even that was after a hard fast rainstorm. Mostly separate puddles form.

Well adding more gravel wouldn't help if the water does not drain away from the building and we don't know how much water is getting behind the stucco or how the window was installed.

oh man,,, documentation, pictures. i would go so far as hireing a home inspector $200.---$400. for a inspection and recomendation

caulk is useless, it is a cosmetic thing ONLY. if anyone says other wise, they do not know aything

the outside of the building needs to have the siding, framing removed and redone. while it is opened up

an inspection of the foundation should be done.

digging a hole, filling with gravel is about as good as caulk

a hole needs to be dug to BEDROCK, then hole should be filled with concrete WITH rebar. to stabalise te corner

call a foundation company to have them give you an estimatement of what needs to be done

also,,since you have been unable to enjoy your home. the hoa needs to reimburse all your living expenses

sounds like its time to call shyster,shyster, and goldstein or the other law firm dowe cheatum and how

you can only caulk up to a certain size width. all caulks have data that verifies what it can work with whether its a Tremco, Dow, etc...

Have you looked into Drylok? http://www.drylok.com/

the only way to fix this is to pull the window and reseal the area but the crack needs to be fixed first. drylok will not fix this hell i have not found any thing it will fix. back on point
there are several ways to fix this but as you said its the hoa problem get an engineer to wright a report remember the only thing the will understand is someone with a degree and a blood sucker. ps home inspectors will tell you to get a professional if there worth any thing so spend your money wisely

Our lawyer told us to hire the ECR company we hired in 2010. ECR was the company the HOA told they couldn't touch the outside. He found a lot of problems, dome of which never even occured to me. He found what looks like a dryer cutout with not cover that has water damage, that the entire window, including the framing around it needs to be removed and replaced, he said that the bottom frame of the window has dry rot and needs to be removed to further look at the top of the foundation to see if there if unseen damage to the foundation, and that the outside landscaping needs to be excavated to 10" below the footings so we can see what the outside of the foundation looks like.

He noted several cracks on the inside and said with the damage on the inside that they need to see the outside because damage on the inside usually indicates worse damage outside.

He looked at the massive caulking job and said it was a joke and said what they have done would not fix the problem, but would slow it down and hide it for 4-5 years and then things would be like they are now.

He also said they needed to dig down 10" below the footings so they could ensure the footing is true.

The HOA is still fighting us on repairing the problem and their attorney's ard not responding to our attorney's emails and calls. I know they are stalling to make it cost us more hoping we will drop everything. I hate our HOA, and aparently in the state of Utah, the laws are kind of vague and tend to lean toward the HOA. What a mess.

I think the contractor is correct in what he is saying. Sounds like you are in for a fight. Good luck.

Back