Are these vents needed?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcf02139

Reaction score
I will put up new wall boards in this basement family room.

Behind the existing wall is the cement foundation. I am not sure if these vents are actually needed or not? They are the small squares you see on the wall.

Since I will keep the pine paneling and only put bluebaord over the top wall area, I will keep the vents that are in the pine paneling.

Shall I simply place the blueboard over them or keep them?

Picture 21.jpg

Picture 22.jpg

Newer systems would have you build a wall infront of the foundation and seal it with vapour bearier and insulation to keep the heat of the room away from the foundation. This old system accepts that there could be moisture back there and gives it a way out. It is hard to knock a system that seems to be working and just as hard to figure what will happen if you just change part of it. We don't know if this is a good plan or what someone did to solve a problem.

If the vents are part of your heating system then you probably need them.
What are the vents for?

I vote for leaving them. I think someone added them for air flow most likely because they had a problem after closing it in.

You really need to figure what they are there for. I can't imagine someone would just install them to have them. The may have been installed to vent radon gas or are they light fixtures?

I think they are like a heat-o-lator in a fireplace just trying to get some air flow behind the wall.

Back