Why Can't I Remove This Darn Door Handle?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The door handle into my apartment is loose, not to mention old and battle scarred. I bought a replacement but simply can't get the darn thing off.

There are two screws holding the plate in place on the inside, but removing them doesn't release the handles. There's simply nothing else I can see to do -- save for this mysterious hole on the inside. See the first picture below.

I've tried pushing it, but it's very hard to get to. Do some doors require a special screwdriver or something? I tried my allen wrenches but none seems to fit. Very frustrated!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Important screw.jpg

handle solo.jpg

Handle in hand.jpg

Hard to see but that may be a torx head. Could be metric hex ( Allen)
Could be a security ( since this is apartment, so tenants can't pack up door knobs when they get evic... I mean move out) or a proprietary fastener, needing a special tool. What is brand of lock set?

If you are replacing it anyway you might could drill it out.

Torx drivers;

Torx_drivers.jpg

Last edited:
Good guess, notmrjohn. I don't have a set of Torx heads, but I'll go pick one up and give it a shot. I wish I knew what kind of lock set it is. There doesn't seem to be any indication. I could drill it, I suppose, but I'm not certain whether this hole is even the solution ... I'd hate to drill a hole, muck things up, and then not be able to unlock the front door.

I'm pretty sure that screw is the problem. I have a few held by similar set screw.
Most unscrew in regular direction, I just remembered one turns in opposite direction, have you tried that?

The picture looks sorta in between regular Allen and Torx. Sides of opening kinda rounded, the corners not as acute as torx. It may just be worn from lots of removing and/or overtightening. If torx don't fit, t least you have drivers, seems like everything from cars, appliances to decks now has a torx somewhere on it.

I've found that if you have a wide enough assortment of Allen wrenches including metric, in small enough increments, some old and worn to a non specific size, some filed down in the past to fit some odd ball size. Some metrics fit some regulars and vice versa. Some will loosen some torx if not too tight.

If you have a replacement lock set, and drilling doesn't release old one. There's always hack saws, and sledge hammers.

You might take pic of that screw to a locksmith, if its proprietary they might recognize it and have tool. Might be a common set in your area and locksmith is familiar with it. Have you talked to land lord about it?

Ta ta ta Daaaa!
Thanx for letting me know how it turned out. Some folks just seem to disappear. Sometimes after dozens of responders with a dozen posts each.

Back