DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > How to get these three outlets working?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:08 PM  
hornetd
Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoonyb View Post
That "Old Work" one will save him some plastering if they will actually turn into the stud channel without busting out the plaster.

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Old 11-10-2017, 05:10 PM  
afjes_2016
Established Member
Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetd View Post
That "Old Work" one will save him some plastering if they will actually turn into the stud chanhornetnel without busting out the plaster.
If what I think you are trying to say hornetd is that this "old work" box is not as "fitting" as one would think. I do agree with you as I have stated in previous posts of mine. Attempting to place it in the wall, turn it in and secure it "flush" is quite a challenge.

And yes I know this thread is more than a month old but "hornetd" is just sharing his "field" knowledge with us which can be helpful.

To the OP (O.riginal P.oster to this thread/topic).

If at any time you do not feel confident enough to perform a trouble shooting method that I suggest or feel you may not have the experience or comfort level to do so please ask questions before proceeding.
Electricity is dangerous and if not handled properly can cause serious injury or worse!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:24 PM  
farmerjohn1324
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I ended up calling an electrician and he used his "mouse" to find out that the outlet was powered by something on the opposite end of the trailer.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:47 AM  
hornetd
Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default What's the rest of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
I ended up calling an electrician and he used his "mouse" to find out that the outlet was powered by something on the opposite end of the trailer.
What did the actual fault end up being?

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Old 11-19-2017, 09:35 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1130 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

Glad to see you back, Tom.
afjes_2016 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2017, 03:11 AM  
farmerjohn1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetd View Post
What did the actual fault end up being?
I honestly forget. This was several months ago and I've had a lot going on since then.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:27 AM  
afjes_2016
Established Member
Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
I honestly forget. This was several months ago and I've had a lot going on since then.
farmerjohn1324 many people like yourself use forums such as this one to help them solve problems that they are having, in this case electrical problems (electrical forum). Many people do searches on Google etc and within the results links are usually provided to corresponding results that may end up leading a person to come to our forum. The person finds they have the exact (or similar) issue as the person who started the thread and starts to read, as they come to the end of the thread they find that there was no solution "written" mainly because the original poster (OP) never took the time to come back and provide the answer or did not come back and let the members who took their time to answer the posts know that the members suggestions were helpful in solving the issue.

All the members of this forum as I know them to be are volunteers; such they (me) don't get paid for offering their/my field experience to the OPs (original posters).

Just a little bit of common forum etiquette is usually that when you start a thread and you get responses that you take the time to answer the responses to the best of your ability so we can help more efficiently. If you solve the problem it is usually customary to return the the thread and post the solution so people in the future can use that information to help them if needed.

Quote:
I've had a lot going on since then
Example: I have a lot going on each day but I do make it a point to try and spend a few minutes to answer your questions to the best of my ability sharing with you my field experience and knowledge. "hornetd" has "decades" of electrical field knowledge under his belt which is far more than some of our other members (including myself) who tend to answer your questions/concerns on a regular basis. I think if we (along with hornetd) take our time to read your posts and attempt to help you solve your issues that you take your time and return and let us know what the solution was. From what I read in your posts many of the questions you are asking (threads that you create) are to assist you in your "job" not assist you in your personal home repairs. We are making your job easier in many cases; which I don't really mind too much but would appreciate a "thank you" or "problem solved: this is what I found" once in a while. That could take all over one minute to do in comparison to one of your threads with over 30 replies from the member totaling far more of their person time to help you.

Just some "friendly" advise here.

To the OP (O.riginal P.oster to this thread/topic).

If at any time you do not feel confident enough to perform a trouble shooting method that I suggest or feel you may not have the experience or comfort level to do so please ask questions before proceeding.
Electricity is dangerous and if not handled properly can cause serious injury or worse!
nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-20-2017, 01:20 PM  
farmerjohn1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by afjes_2016 View Post
farmerjohn1324 many people like yourself use forums such as this one to help them solve problems that they are having, in this case electrical problems (electrical forum). Many people do searches on Google etc and within the results links are usually provided to corresponding results that may end up leading a person to come to our forum. The person finds they have the exact (or similar) issue as the person who started the thread and starts to read, as they come to the end of the thread they find that there was no solution "written" mainly because the original poster (OP) never took the time to come back and provide the answer or did not come back and let the members who took their time to answer the posts know that the members suggestions were helpful in solving the issue.

All the members of this forum as I know them to be are volunteers; such they (me) don't get paid for offering their/my field experience to the OPs (original posters).

Just a little bit of common forum etiquette is usually that when you start a thread and you get responses that you take the time to answer the responses to the best of your ability so we can help more efficiently. If you solve the problem it is usually customary to return the the thread and post the solution so people in the future can use that information to help them if needed.

Example: I have a lot going on each day but I do make it a point to try and spend a few minutes to answer your questions to the best of my ability sharing with you my field experience and knowledge. "hornetd" has "decades" of electrical field knowledge under his belt which is far more than some of our other members (including myself) who tend to answer your questions/concerns on a regular basis. I think if we (along with hornetd) take our time to read your posts and attempt to help you solve your issues that you take your time and return and let us know what the solution was. From what I read in your posts many of the questions you are asking (threads that you create) are to assist you in your "job" not assist you in your personal home repairs. We are making your job easier in many cases; which I don't really mind too much but would appreciate a "thank you" or "problem solved: this is what I found" once in a while. That could take all over one minute to do in comparison to one of your threads with over 30 replies from the member totaling far more of their person time to help you.

Just some "friendly" advise here.
Okay. Thanks for helping.

I tried to remember what the electrician told me, but couldn't recall.

Might have been related to the GFCI in the other bathroom.