Tin over shingles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjarrett001

Reaction score
I am considering putting a tin roof on my workshop. Is it a good idea to put put the tin over the shingles using 1x1 strips, or should I remove the shingles first?

I'd do the strips and tin right on top of the shingles. Make a ridge vent at the top of the tin and you have yourself a vented roof system. ;)

The only thing I can think is how do you not damage the tin as you walk and work on it?

Try wider strips? Tread lightly....:D

I would just remove them, but thats my opinion.:)

Personally, I would follow the manufacturers recommendation but a lot that I've seen put the metal roof right down on the shingles or maybe over an underlayment if the shingle roof is very old(to prevent leaks). Putting it on any kink of strips would make it very difficult to walk on-- if it wasn't difficult already!

Welcome R Jarrett:
I would remove the old shingles for the weight diffrential and start back with the pink building paper. Shingles and regular building felt have asphalt in them and will react to the tin causing a rust through and a leak.
Sometimes it is good to check the deck underneath and do some renailing anyway.
Glenn

Thanks for the info and the welcome. This thread thing could be addictive!!!!

Back