How to create air change for a house in a cold climate

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scally1

Reaction score
We have an old 1950' house that we totally re-insulated to a R 30 in the walls ( with spray foam) and R 60 in the attic. This should definately help with our energy consumption however now that the house is so tighly sealed I need to find a way of creating some air change in order to avoid humidity and stale air problem. I would appreciate any advice on what to use and how much it cost.

Thanks,

Paschal

Welcome Scally:
Research Products makes an air exchange unit; however, and inexpensive way to make the exchange is to put a 3" pipe into your return air plenum from the outside. That way the unit can condition the air before it comes into the living space and the extra air will keep a positive pressure inside making the small leaks blow out rather than leaking cold air in.
Many government buildings use a similar system to keep fresh air in the building and keep the over pressure. In my home state of Kentucky they are required to use 14% make-up air at all times. It really works well.
Glenn

Check out a HRV or a ERV
These ventilating units will not only bring in fresh air but will also exhaust any stale air

Back