Crawl Space Moisture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPMIch

Reaction score
Newbie here! Here is some detailed info of our home. I have a 35x25 home with a crawl space. I have 7 vents (2 on 3 sides with a vented access door) around the perimeter. Foundation is concrete block with insulation on the inside of the crawl space. Floor is covered in plastic as a moisture barrier. Ceiling of the crawl space has pink styro insulation even with the floor joists. Temp in the craw space is around 60-65F in Aug.

The problem I'm having is moisture buildup, mainly after a hot and humid stretch of the temp. The moisture is not in one specific area, like a leak. But is mainly on all surfaces. Areas by the vents are dry.

My only conclusion is that the humid air that is passing thru the vents condenses when it passes thru the vents under the house. What are solutions to remedy this? More vents and/or possibly a humidity controlled fan would be what I would think. But other ideas would be appreciated.

Welcome UP Mich:
You appearently have sufficient ventilators but, I think you are correct in wanting to fan-force the air movement. A small fan on the access door, blowing out through the vent would do the trick.
Glenn

forget who makes 'em but we've install'd power vents into crawl spaces controll'd by a humidistat,,, dow here they can't seem to make up their minds - vented OR unvented :D personally i like vented !

Back