Replacing a Foundation (in a house with additions)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Victorian

Reaction score
While looking for a new home, I managed to locate an amazing victorian home (my favorite) that, under other circumstances, would be waaaay out of my price range. The house is very old, built in the late 1800's, I believe. All new vinyl exterior, new roof, new insulation, all original woodwork intact and in excellent condition (and refinished), new paint job, looks like all the rooms have been updated, including windows. Roughly 2350 square feet on two levels, with a possiblity of turning the attic into a partial third floor (if I can get the attic door un-nailed without taking a chunk out of it, since it looks like one of the original victorian doors. All this might be in vain...

The foundation is still brick, which of course leaks easily. So there seems to be some black mold growing on the bricks. A lot of it, actually. Luckily, not the kind that kills my sinuses. My realtor pointed out that the brick was crumbling. (I didn't get a good look at it myself, actualy.) The floor is new cement, I believe. Since the house is a repo, the cost is super low, with the possibility of going even lower, and considering I qualify for a mortgage almost twice the asking price of the house, I could more than likely afford a typical foundation replacement.

So what's the problem? There are new additions to the house... Additions which are level with the ground instead of with the rest of the house - kind of a split-level thing. So I'm wondering... how could they possibly jack up the house without destroying it? Is there another (reliable) way to replace the foundation? Or is buying this house a really bad idea? (Bear in mind it's located in central Illinois, which has fairly low housing costs.)

Thanks in advance.

IF it were mine, i'd find a reputable house mover & start w/him,,, if i were you, i'd also call in a pe w/structural restoration experience,,, did this in my house but had 2 friends in the moving biz who'd already joint-ventur'd for me on another project. good luck !

Back