Outdoor wall/fence advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This past weekend, we decided to have our shrubs/bushes remove. The maintenance and dust were the reasons we removed them.

Anyways, I am thinking of placing a vinyl wall right next to the current fence.

The distance between the current fence and retainer wall (outside edge) is about 2.5 feet. Should I work with the neighbor in removing the current fence and build a new one in place of it or should I build a new one right next to it? Get a property surveyor?

I do notice the same neighbor built a wooden fence (on his side) right next to the current fence that stretches down to another neighbor property line.

Currently, neighbor is on vacation. I have had good and bad experiences regarding fencing/wall replacement from previous homes.

Thanks,
tntrac

20110618095801.jpg

20110618095731.jpg

Last edited:
The cost of a surveyor may be worth it. Usually the retaining wall is put in by the guy on the high side and he makes sure it's on his land.

The cost of a surveyor may be worth it. Usually the retaining wall is put in by the guy on the high side and he makes sure it's on his land.

I was able to get a copy of the homes in my block that had the dimensions of each property (it came from the city from the recent plaza proposal built down the street).

I was able to find the reference points in front of my house. The reference markers have an "edged" on the walkway. My neighbor across the street helped me located them.

I am going to run a string to each side of the dimension to find my property line on the back.

tntrac

Check you site plan and make sure it dosn't say something like "may not be used for"
If you can find corner pegs that are steal you are probably good to go. I wouldn't use any measurements off the corner of the house or anything like that.

Updated: I was able to get the dimensions from the county. I measured in the front of the house where they have the line edge on on the walk way. It measures exactly to the back where the retainer wall.

I also talked to the neighbor about building a wall and he was cool. I fully paid for it.

Back