Attic (skylight shaft and side wall)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawner

Reaction score
Couple questions...

1) Skylight shaft framed with 2x4's and plywood (see from attic side). Batt insulation shoved up around it. Doesn't look like there is any vapor barrier (unless it's between plywood and drywall). What is the best way of insulating this? Can I use rigid insulation in the bays and seal it with foam?

2) House is half regular attic and half cathedral ceilings. There is a vertical wall separating the attic from the living area (with the high ceilings). Again, no vapor barrier that I could see. What is the best way of insulating this?

Thanks!!

The framer would have put the plywood on as part of the structure and the insulater should have put poly inside that before drywall. If you are sure there is no vapour bearier, you could staple poly to the backside of drywall or plywood and around 2x4s before insulating. Hold insulation is with a few strips of wood nailed across the outside. I would add 2x2s to the 2x4s to allow 6" of insulation.

Thanks neal, I appreciate all the tips.

The floor of the attic has vapor barrier, so I guess they must've put it btwn the ply and drywall.

Back