Need help picking out a sump pump

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylersloan

Reaction score
Hi
I'm fixing to install a French drain inside my basement and outside as well .
I need a good sump pump that will pump anything I can throw at it I've picked out two pumps already tell me what you guys think also the pump has to be able to handle a toilet shower and sink as well and MUST pump water straight up for about four to five feet before it hits my sewer line
Pump one here
http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/.../1-2hp-easy-flush-system/p-1767765-c-8673.htm

Pump two not sure if this can pump straight up
http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/...umbled-sewage-basin-pump/p-1407320-c-8673.htm

I'm not in the Sewage business, but I used to sell Myers who I believe supplies Menards with pumps and basins.

I would stay away from any Big Box store items for your project. Buy quality and it will cost you much less in the long run.

Zoeller is probably the best brand out there. Getting a complete package may have to come from a Plumber. There are a few Plumbers here who can help you out.

You will need a "Sewage" Pump, not a Sump Pump. Sump Pumps only move 3/8" solids, so the toilet part isn't gonna work.

You also need to check out your local codes. The towns where I live do not allow sump pumps for groundwater to discharge into the sewer systems due to system overload during storms. You should have a separate discharge line running outside well away from the foundation of your house, just as you would do for a gutter downspout.
The sewage lines and pumps for a basement bathroom would be totally separate, and require a pump that can either handle solids or a macerating unit to chop up the solids before they go through the pump.
Even if your codes don't require the groundwater to discharge separately, it is still a good idea so that if anything goes wrong with your sewage system in you basement bathroom you don't have a bunch of groundwater from the french drains flooding it.

Thanks for the response I'll go to my local granger and see what they have . Guess I was looking for an easy way out because the front of my lot is only 30 feet to the curb and the back is huge but it slants away from the house by a good 5 feet in grade difference .

Back