Steel Serving Tray? Remove paint/mylar coating?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalbum

Reaction score
3aLeWgp.jpg

This happened in the dishwasher which is FINE because I'm a bachelor and actually prefer the raw finish.

But any tips on removing this? It kinda flakes off as it is, but maybe paint thinner? or acetone?

Being the resident acetone expert here ... it will dissolve organic materials and loosen glues. If you choose to use it, be in a well ventilated place, no pilot lights, wear protective gloves. I use a green scrubby pad, then sand paper (220 or finer).

Should work.

OH, and enjoy your bachelor day ... Hope you have some sweetie to share it with!

BRUNETTE.jpg

Lol. Ok she's hot, my special V day lady. Best day ever.

haha, so Acetone Pro, Paint thinner the second option? I don't have either so doesn't matter.

Also, I have a putty knife, but it's for spackle and is plastic. Bad idea? I got an A in chemistry but I just memorized then forgot everything.

I didn't even realize it was bachelor day until a gal pal called.

0HCzhPc.jpg

OK, chemistry guy ... acetone is an organic solvent (I did remember that) so it works really well on your project. Bud is a Neanderthal who thinks acetone is a guitar brand ... but he is right about the heat gun for starters ... but I like dangerous chemicals instead of mature ideas.

Paint thinner probably won't work. You need to kick it up seveal notches. Putty knife might scratch the surface, so I'd opt for plastic. Either way, you will need to hit it wil very fine sandpaper afterwards.

All this stuff is readily available at Home Depot or ...

However, the brunette is NOT available. Sorry. BTW, your graphic is a scream! Stealing it and sharing where appropriate ...

BUTTON.jpg

I used to dance to the Ace Tones back in the day how did you ever know. I never cared for Bertha Butt and the Neanderthals though. Much to Troglodyte for my tastes.

Bud is a Neanderthal

Bud, I still think you're a great guy. I hope you've clubbed yourself a good woman.

So I got some Acetone (sorry I've been capitalizing nouns since I learned some german). and I have some rubber gloves, well hell, I don't know what they are, my pop said they were for handling a corroded car battery.

Heat gun AND sand blaster?? Man I don't think you guys understand how lazy I am.

I reeeally don't care if this thing could sell at Pier 1. I just put my keys and crap in there and occasionally use for home defense.

I've got a rather large balcony, the acetone, gloves, flat, cheap plastic spackle knife thingy, and some sandpaper for after.

Can you you walk me through the process like I was a special needs kid? I pretty much am.

And that chick? How can she be single she's sorta attractive I guess, but she has a single lock of hair out of place.

And here's something that's probably inappropriate but hey, it's bachelor day:

Lofoa01.jpg

haha, and I actually saw at least 4 single women at walmart wearing all pink (not red). I tried to hug them, but security kicked me out for some reason.

Also, the underneath of the tray doesn't have the coating, so I'm thinking I could put the acetone just in the tray?

Last edited:
Yes I clubbed a good one. Neil it's not about the tray or the money it's about V day and no woman. To make matters worse striking out 4 times of all places Walmart. I might want to sniff acetone also today. Not sure what he's going to do with the heat gun. Maybe get the gloves off his hands after they melt. Hope he's taking photos.

Ps if it doesn't work you can throw it off pier 1.

Haha, not a dime. I had everything except the acetone, and I accidently walked out of walmart with it in my shopping cart after I had paid for my other stuff and was waiting for my car battery.

Am I admitting a crime? NOoooo, I'm definitely headed back there right now to pay for it.

I still haven't heard instructions, so I guess I'll just pour the acetone on my head and bang the tray against the wall. That should work right?

Yes I clubbed a good one. Neil it's not about the tray or the money it's about V day and no woman. To make matters worse striking out 4 times of all places Walmart. I might want to sniff acetone also today. Not sure what he's going to do with the heat gun. Maybe get the gloves off his hands after they melt. Hope he's taking photos.

--------------

Lol

This thread is a testament to American ingenuity and know how. Such a project requires a celebratory brew. :beer:

In that case “whiskey for my men beer for my horses”.

Back