Question on how to replicate a finish

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott.475

Reaction score
All, we have a rental house built in the 50s. I don't know when this particular finished was applied though, and wanted to see if anyone here had seen something similar and tell me how to copy it.

It is a sanded paint type finish, applied to the walls in repeating half-moon shapes, actually, more like half-oval shapes. The thing is, the oval shape is not just visible in the sand specs, but in the paint itself as well. Imagine the pattern a v-notch trowel makes in adhesive, but much smaller and with grains of sand. I don't think just doing it with a paint brush would work, so I'm wondering if they might have used a stiff bristle brush? The entire width of the pattern, from up swoop to down swoop is probably 6-8 inches. I didn't have a camera to take a picture today, hopefully I remember one tomorrow.

Any help would be great!

All, we have a rental house built in the 50s. I don't know when this particular finished was applied though, ...................................
I didn't have a camera to take a picture today, hopefully I remember one tomorrow.

Any help would be great!

Have you got the pic yet? Upload that so that we can help you better.

Latest posts

Back