I have a leak but I don't know where it is coming from

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmobbley23

Reaction score
Shortly after purchasing a new home, I found water puddling in my backyard. I traced it back to the base of my exterior wall. On the other side of the wall is my pantry, but above that is my master bathroom. The inside of my pantry has water stain path running vertically. It appears to have been exposed to water for quite some time. I know the water must be coming from directly upstairs, but I do not know how to find where the leak is coming from without ripping apart the entire bathroom. Directly above the water stains is my bathtub and my shower is adjacent to that so I can not figure out if it is coming from my shower or my bathtub or both. I have no idea how to fix this problem when I do not know what exactly the problem is or how to find where the water is coming from. Please, if you have ANY suggestions or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Shortly after purchasing a new home... It appears to have been exposed to water for quite some time.

You say "new home," but you say "for quite some time."

Are you talking about a resale home or a brand new home from the builder?

If it is a resale that you purchased, I hope that you performed a thorough home inspection that conformed to the current sociological phenomena.

L.S.

Last edited:
The house was a resale built in 2001. An inspection was conducted, but it somehow overlooked others problems that I had to deal with. That is all irrelevant at this point, now I just need to take care of my current problem.

Bad inspection it seems?

You can cut into the exterior wall at the point of the tub to access the drain line and supply lines. I am amazed you don't have water staining on the inside walls BIG TIME.

I had an upstairs shower wall leaking through the ceiling light fixture in my previous home. I cut into the closet wall adjoining the shower and found the source. In your case, you can cut in, fix the leak, and re-frame for an exterior access door. These doors are required in California for upstairs plumbing fixes.

While you have the wall open, check for mold or structural damage.

BTW, your home insurance might pay for this leak. Check with them. It might only cost you the deductible and you can get a real pro to do the work.

Good luck

If you are in the north the plumbing won't be on the outside wall.
Have you got a plastic shower base?
Is the tub and shower base one piece plastic?
Is the tub suround tiled and continues under the shower glass, giving you a shelf or seat in the shower?
If one end or side of the tub is up against an interior wall, cut a hole in the other room so you can look under the tub.
If the shower controls are in an interior wall, cut a hole in that room low on the wall an look for water damage.
Are you on a septic tank and where does the sewer leave the building?

Back