Need help with tongue and groove

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
Hello,

I am preparing to put some tongue and groove on the walls of one of our rooms and I have a few quetions, if anyone can help.

First of all, our old house has 1x boards over the wall studs running horizontally, spaced about 8 or 10 inches apart. I am thinking about using 6" wide x 8ft T&G, running vertically. We are going to paint them. I attached a picture of the look we are shooting for.

1. In a lot of these pictures, like the one attached, you don't see knots and things like that in the boards. Are they using some sort of filler or something? It seems like if I used T&G right from the lumber yard you wouldn't get that smooth look.
2. Should I glue the T&G to the 1x's and finish nail?
3. How do I deal with warping? Let the boards sit for a while and only use the straightest ones?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. We are really hoping that this comes out nice. Thanks a lot.

bungalow.jpg

You might check on alternate materials such as MDF that comes in T&G. Smooth finish, consistent product.

http://elitetrimworks.com/Tongue-and-Groove-Planks-MDF/

Sounds like you need to hit the horizontals every time. If you miss and drive the nail into the spaces you might get bowing. I would carefull mark those locations. Hit all of them. With T&G, plus careful nailing, I dont see bowing as a problem.

Good luck

Last edited:
You might check on alternate materials such as MDF that comes in T&G. Smooth finish, consistent product.

http://elitetrimworks.com/Tongue-and-Groove-Planks-MDF/

Sounds like you need to hit the horizontals every time. If you miss and drive the nail into the spaces you might get bowing. I would carefull mark those locations. Hit all of them. With T&G, plus careful nailing, I dont see bowing as a problem.

Good luck

I just worry about MDF. Read something about the glue being toxic or formaldehyde releasing somehow. You know how that is, not sure what to believe any more.

I don't live in fear thanks to every self-serving organization crying WOLF at every turn. I live, I love, I have anoher beer. :D

You can spend a little time and find formaldehyde free mdf and mdf would be my first choice too.

Does anyone know where I can get formaldehyde-free MDF beaded or v-grooved?

I don't see how painted MDF could be a problem. You can't use the stuff outside, so one wonders where all the formaldehyde-content MDF is going if not into homes.

You can buy clear (free of knots) pine t&g that finishes very nice. The mdf is gonna give you a smoother look. I like wood myself instead of the plastic look. Call me old fashioned. The mdf will stay straight. It doesn't warp as bad as wood but if your glueing and nailing every 8 or 10 inches it shouldn't be a problem.

Back