Tiling a floor, which part can be removed?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheabee

Reaction score
hi,

we are putting in a ceramic tile floor and pulling out this old vinyl subfloor.

i put an arrow on the photo in question. we want to remove the top tiles. but i am curious if the subfloor is the floor underneath it and that gets removed and replaced as well?

then i see there is a layer of something grey, and another layer of wood.

can you please just let me know which layers are what and what can be removed and what needs to stay?

because the floor currently is level with the hardwood floors in the rest of the house, so if that layer underneath the tiles can be removed and replaced with a new subfloor, that would likely be best for a flush and even finish.

thanks!!!!

20130113_120646.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture. Any idea how old the tiles are ? Are they 12'x12" or 9" x 9"? Either can contain asbestos and so can the adhesive, but almost all 9x9 contain asbestos.

Home Despot sells asbestos test kits.

i already planned on taking a tile sample to get tested.

my question really is about the subfloor though. is that the subfloor underneath those tiles??? and if so, can it be removed and replaced with a new subfloor so the floor can be flush with the hardwood in the next room?

if the picture is not good enough to answer this, can you let me know what i need to take a photo of to better display it?

How thick is the peice of wood your arrow is pointing to and how thick is the wood below that. Chip off some of the grey stuff and see if it's like rubber or concrete.

How thick is the peice of wood your arrow is pointing to
3 cm thick
and how thick is the wood below that.
3/4 inch thick

Chip off some of the grey stuff and see if it's like rubber or concrete.
By gray stuff do you mean the stuff in between those two layers of wood? If so I would say its more rubbery. Its some sort of material

Response is in quote

I think if you look closely you might find the peice you said was 3 cm. You might find two peices like 5/8 and 5/8 or 3/4 and 1/2. But if they glued everything down it may as well be one peice. I suspect the gray stuff is just glue.
You will have to investigate some more. Sometimes you just have to take it down the joists and start over but that brings other nightmares with it, as the floor runs under the walls and cupboards and jointing to the old floor can be tricky

I think if you look closely you might find the peice you said was 3 cm. You might find two peices like 5/8 and 5/8 or 3/4 and 1/2. But if they glued everything down it may as well be one peice. I suspect the gray stuff is just glue.
You will have to investigate some more. Sometimes you just have to take it down the joists and start over but that brings other nightmares with it, as the floor runs under the walls and cupboards and jointing to the old floor can be tricky

What does this mean, it hardly makes sense.
That one piece is DEFINITELY solid wood, why would you think it would be otherwise?

ALL we need to know is WHICH part is the subfloor. Why does it seem like this question is being avoided.

Often people do remove the top layer of wood, if you think you can do that. I am just not sure you will be able to.

For the clear answer, 1" thick plywood will be vary hard to get up if it has been glued down, I would tile over what you have and live with a little diff. in height. I don't like that answer either but I think ripping into it will be a nightmare.
I was just triing to get enough information before giving you my answer.
Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.

From
http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/09/why-dont-you-yes-but.html

In the game of "Why Don't You -- Yes But," players begin by bemoaning a problem and inviting others to suggest solutions, all of which will be shot down. The real object, Berne writes, is "to demonstrate that no one can give them an acceptable suggestion."

. . .but this one does not quite fit this profile.

Last edited:
Shea, the subfloor is the layer of wood that is on top of the floor joists. You can remove all wood above that, then replace it with hardwood flooring; or, replace it with plywood if you are going to use linoleum or vinyl or carpet; or, replace it with concrete (Hardie) backer board if you are going to use ceramic or stone for your final floor.

It is difficult to tell by seeing the picture..
you should try to remove the top layer ..

Back