Snow in Ga.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
Even in places that are more used to dealing with snow can have traffic problems like this. When it snows during the day on a work day, everyone is itching to get on the road and get home. We have a rule here on election day everyone should have fours to go vote. Every car in the city hit the roads at 4 pm on fresh snow. I got home at midnight. If you work or run an office, shop or what have you, talk about working late to get tomorrow‎‎s work done. Hours later you can decide whether you can get home or stay where you are safe and warm.
I have kept my shop going an extra few hrs more than once, empoyees alway liked having a few hrs the next day to deal with problems at home.
I have stayed in place over the objection of the boss, he changed his mind when he smashed up the Caddy on his way home.
:2cents: Neal.

I have a friend that moved from Maine to Atlanta and has a morning commute that should take 20 minutes that takes 2 hours. To save gas he adapted to just leaving before the rush. So a job that starts at 8:00 am rather than leaving at 6:00 and sitting in the car for 2 hours he leaves at 5:00 and gets in two more hours of work per day. So he wakes up one morning and sees they got one inch of snow having survived Maine winters takes off for work and gets there in 20 minutes. Tries to get into his office building that’s locked up and the guard asks him what he is doing. He said going to work and the guard tells him didn’t you hear the city is shut down due to snow.

The part of the story I forgot to tell above was much like havasu’s picture. When he turned around to go back home the crazy’s were now on the road and his 20 minute in trip turned into a 3 hour return home trip. He said it was the longest day of work he ever had and didn’t make it into work even.

Living in So Cal, I never have experienced these road conditions, except for the constant dodging of pan handlers on the freeway entrances and exits.

Living in So Cal, I never have experienced these road conditions, except for the constant dodging of pan handlers on the freeway entrances and exits.

In desperation for labour help one day I offered a pan handler a job. He said he makes double what I was offering..

Hyder gets 360 inches according to that web site where I live in the great lakes snow belt just south of (I90) 200 inches is the norm Erie is just north and they commonly measure 100 inches. If it all stayed all winter it would not be good. But we get a few thaws in there to get rid of some and a lot packs down or blows around. The real problem is not the yearly average but the per storm amount. I have seen 4 foot overnight and that’s when you have to hunker down.

What I think is crazy is at 5:00 am 10 inches of overnight snow and temp around zero I see people going down the street in fancy electric wheelchairs getting stuck. What in the world is there they need to be doing at that time in a storm. Not just once but I see it all the time. No headlights no reflective triangles. Then we have Amish in buggies after dark painted black.

We don’t have pan handlers it’s too cold. They all moved to La Verne CA.
:D

I used to do some work for a mine about 30 miles from Hyder over a summit. One year the summit had 1300 inces, that's 108 ft. It is neat when the street lights are sticking out of a snow bank.

Back