Kitchen Before & After (lots of pics)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyguys

Reaction score
OK - Here are some pictures.
DSCN0886.JPG

^^ Wet wall before. Metal cabs below, vinyl floor, rolling dishwasher on left, refrigerator on left outside of picture. Picture taken from doorway between kitchen and dining room.

DSCN0887.JPG

Wall between kitchen and dining room to be replaced by peninsula.

OK - So after. The wall between the kitchen and dining room was removed and a peninsula in its place with a cabinet below. All new cabs, floor, walls, electrical, plumbing, lighting. Doors and windows are still original.

After pictures....
DSCN0902.JPG

DSCN0909.JPG

Hey, you said lots of pictures!! :D
Very nice job :clap:
We need to redo our kitchen - but no tthis year
So I stripped & I am repainting the cabinets for now

I did put a lot of pictures but then found I was restricted to four. I may do a post at my site with a bunh of pictures in the next couple weeks. New posts shows go up every Thursday at 5Pm ET.

I see a board between the dishwasher and stove to support the end of the counter top.

How is that board fastened to the floor, wall and counter top? I guess you have to be careful pulling the dishwasher and stove out for repairs so as not to knock that board loose?

What are your thoughts on stainless steel appliances. On other boards people have said they look nice when they're clean, but they're hard to keep clean because every time you touch the stainless steel it leaves fingerprints that continuously need to be cleaned off. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I see a board between the dishwasher and stove to support the end of the counter top.

How is that board fastened to the floor, wall and counter top? I guess you have to be careful pulling the dishwasher and stove out for repairs so as not to knock that board loose?

Good eye Nestor. The board between the stove and dishwasher is attached to blocking in the wall and directly to the floor. The granite top is attached to the board, and cabinets, with silicone.

I used long screws and went at an angle. Sort of pocket hole style, or, you could say, toe nailed but with long screws. In the back, against the wall, I just drive the screws in. In the front I made a nice countersink for the screw head because I was worried it would show. In the end, it doesn't.

So, attachment before counters was three long screws. The addition of the top with silicone adds another dimension of strength. That board had very little play before the tops went in and now that the top is attached has ZERO play.

What are your thoughts on stainless steel appliances. On other boards people have said they look nice when they're clean, but they're hard to keep clean because every time you touch the stainless steel it leaves fingerprints that continuously need to be cleaned off. Your thoughts?

Yes, they can be hard to keep looking pristine. This kitchen has a mix of brands (Bosch dishwasher, Kenmore stove, Whirlpool fridge, Microwave I forget, whirlpool maybe). The stainless really varies as to its receptiveness to fingerprints. Many manufactures have coatings and stuff that minimize fingerprints. There is also faux stainless that may stay cleaner. There are also cleaners that do a great job in shining stainless right up.

I would follow the specific recommendations for cleaning the specific appliance. I have heard that some stainless does have a clearcoat finish and that some harsh cleaning agents can remove that finish.

A little soap and water should be all you need usually.

Some more pictures and a podcast about the process is here
Episode #65 - A Handyguys Kitchen

Last edited:
macro01, Fencefence, meikitchens, BigSis, DaveyDIY,
Thanks so much for your kind feedback!

Of course ! This is nice job. These all pictures will be helpful to know your work.

We appreciate your work.

Wow what a difference. Looks great ! Do those cabinets have a glaxe on them ? What color granite did you use ? I loke the flooring contrast with the cabinets & possibly the glaze color is in the flooring- right ?

I must say, I am really impressed. Do you want to come and do my kitchen?

Amazing work, really. I bet you feel great every time you enter your kitchen now.

Thanks again to those who commented. Not my kitchen though. Its my parents house, the house I grew up in. I do not know the granite color. My mother picked it out from a local distributor. She even picked the specific slab and got to specify where certain "swirls" would be in relation the edges and orientation. It all got marked out with chalk so they would cut the right sections from the slab. The floor was brazian cherry? Santos mahogany? I forget. More on the floor here Episode #63 – Handyguy Hardwood Floors and more on the kitchen project over all here Episode #65 – A Handyguys Kitchen

Beautiful! I love the color! it looks so pristine really, great job

angelina - If you have a question about some aspect of home improvement please search and look for an answer, your question may have been asked previously. If you cant find your answer then feel free to post it in the appropriate forum section.

Very nice pictures... It looks so much better than before! :) And yes, the colors looks perfect!

I thought i will see hundreds of pics... :D
By the way nice kitchen Revelation. Color combination is excellent.

Back