Need to unclog drains outside of Pool

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkS

Reaction score
Well just bought a house with a pool that's empty. The pool hasn't been used for about 10 years. Well there are 2 drains that are on the outside of the pool but they're filled with dirt. I want to unclog them so when it rains I don't get a huge puddle. I already seen what happens when I washed my hands using the hose.

What's the best way to clear out all the dirt? I was thinking about getting a small shovel or a spoon and digging out the dirt. Then use a small snake.

Any ideas? :D

That's worth a try but, if that doesn't work you might have to call a sewer/plumbing company and have the water jet the drains. That service isn't cheap.

The Jetter is a very good tool to use ,but I would be very cautious if I were

called out on your problem . The jetter can clean out the lines or if the pipe is

broken the head of the jetter can exit the pipe and burro into the dirt causing a

big mess and one upset jetter operator (the head of the jetter can not easily be

retrieved usually digging is involved). The price to use a jetter is in the range

of $150 to $500 just for the machine and an operator is not included in that .

What about using a pressure washer? Are these the strip drains I see around a pool? If so, follow the channel and see where the drain leads. Post some pics if you can.

Well I have able to clear out one of the drains. It leads out to the street. Now the other drain just has dirt in it, no pipe. I was able to get to the bottom edge of the concrete and that's when I realized that there's no pipe. I dug about 6-8 inches, but ran out of daylight. I did feel something hard at on my last attempt, it might have been a rock or something I'll have to check today. I'll try and see if I can take a picture.

Back