Digging down along my foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12x24x? The length and width of the pavers is really not a concern, but how thick are they? If they are two inches thick, then that has to be accounted for in determining whether they will collide with your footings. I'm not at all concerned with how deep the footings go because whatever you expose at the surface, you will be filling back in with gravel and sand. But if the top of the footing is exposed...or only one inch below the surface,,,then your pavers will have to detour around them. Or you will have to cut them to fit, Or use decorative gravel to fill the gap or something like that.

The footing is 4 feet below grade. These are no more than 2 inches thick. Depth and cutting are not an issue.

Okay. So the top of the footings for those posts is four feet below ground. No concrete is visible. No problem.

As frost depth is 80" and top of footing is 48", water getting to the footing could be a problem. So over thinking says a few dollars in poly is just an attempt.

But what ever is done there should be a mark placed on the foundation and a level line on the post so in a cold spell the height of the post can be monitored and any sign of movement can be address by cutting the post and fix that problem the following spring.

UPDATE

I am not digging around the posts for the overhang of the roof. I have discovered the posts are supported only by this:

http://www.decksgo.com/deck-foundations.html
It looks kinda like the ground anchor spike.

So, in short, I am not going to dig right to them. Instead, for this year, I will only dig enough to put in one row off the large patio stones.

I plan to get a professional in to redo the driveway and stairs. I will have them deal with this new issue as well.

If this is temporary, and a pro will be doing the area next year, don't even bother with laying gravel or trenching. Just enough sand to give you an even base for the pavers.

If this is temporary, and a pro will be doing the area next year, don't even bother with laying gravel or trenching. Just enough sand to give you an even base for the pavers.

A ditch was left from the construction of the foundation. I filled it in with gravel, laid the pavers on top, and put some sand in the cracks. They slope away from the garage.

Back