Whirlpool tub doesn't work

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mukarakaplan

Reaction score
My whirlpool tub used to work but now it doesn't. I am not sure why. I checked the timer on the wall. It has two red cables connected to it. When I check the cables with voltage tester, they are not hot. They are both neutral. Turning the timer knob doesn't bring these cables any electric. Isn't one of them supposed to be hot?

I checked the main electric panel and every fuse is on without any problems. I also wanted to check the power cable under the tub through the access panel but the white cable box is closed and when I pull its black cable, it doesn't come off since the other end of the box is attached to a metal pipe. So I am not sure how to check if the tub is getting power or not. Any ideas? I've attached some images.

20180126_113755.jpg

20180126_113945.jpg

20180126_113952.jpg

U will have to take the cover off the gray box that the black cable is going into to check for power.

I just double checked the circuit breaker. Its a 30 amp breaker, and the cables attached to the breaker have electric. One of these two red cables should be the one that goes to the timer, but the cables connected to the timer does not have electric. Can this still be due to a faulty breaker? If so, I'll go buy a new breaker to try that.

20180126_163430.jpg

20180126_163426.jpg

You are right! After checking that breaker, I realized it is for the dryer. After checking the whole panel carefully, I found another unlabeled breaker at the bottom, which was off. It looks like a GFCI mechanism, so for some reason, I was thinking it was a tester breaker for the panel. I turned it on and the tub started working! Thank you so much for all the help!

I think the code requires a GFCI connection somewhere between the tub and the panel, and because it is hard to wire a GFCI outlet under the tub, the previous owner put a GFCI breaker in the panel. Test button breaks the circuit. That means I can use the tub without the risk of electrocution, right?

Thanks a lot!

20180126_180236.jpg

Back