Asbestos caulking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdemBrija

Reaction score
Bathroom caulking asbestos
I live in a building that was gut renovated after 1993. Some caulking was falling off the bathroom walls in the shower a few months ago. I might have for some weird reason stuck a piece of the fallen off caulk in my nose. Am I at risk of
Asbestos now. Please don't judge I just have a habit of Putting things in my nose. I am really freaking out

I don't think anything from 1993 would have asbestos in it. It was banned long before that.

If this is not a joke-
Wndow putty used to have asbestos in it sometimes. Way before '93. If there was a caulk that had stose in it, there is no way it would last until now. and if it lasted that long, I would put it in my own shower. if it were in caulk it would be non friable and bound mainly in the matrix. releasing fibers along the fracture line.
Even if the caulk for some odd hypothetical reason happened to have asbestos in it one piece in your nose would not be much of an exposure. especially if you don't smoke. I would also look here
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml

Asbestos was so widely used during this time due to the fact it was non-flammable, practically indestructible and low heat conducting. Asbestos was commonly added to caulking compounds and putties due to its superior heat insulation properties.

Back