Howdy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct73

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the site. I joined because of the project before me. I play semi-pro football here in CT and I just moved in with a buddy/teammate. He just purchased an old school here in town that was built in 1922. The main floor is roughly 9600 sq. ft. The main goal is to turn the building into a couple of apartments and work space. There will be 2 apartments. One will be on one side of the building and will have my room, my buddies room, a kitchen, and 1 1/2 baths. The other side of the building will have 4 bedrooms (each with it's own 1/2 bath, a full bath, kitchen, and laundry room. Also in the building we have started building our own gym with professional equipment that we already own. There will also be a storage room with individual storage units for each apartment. Along with all of this we will be building an office area for our landscaping business that we are hoping to start in the next couple of months. We will have a common living room area that will be complete with a audio/visual unit, pool table, and arcade games. In the main area of the building in what was the auditorium we are installing an indoor basketball area.

Since the building was built in 1922 there are some areas of concern that I hope people will be able to help me with as I will be doing the majority of the renovations. We have to repair the roof as soon as this snow melts. The area of the house where my roommate and I reside has radiant floor heating that was installed by a local tech school under the previous owner. However, it was not installed properly and now we have to rip up the concrete floor and repair the entire heating unit. This is one thing that I will be looking for help on how to do this. I am currently in the concrete construction industry so re-pouring the floor is not going to be an issue. Also, we will have to repair the plaster in some of the rooms. In some cases ripping it all out.

That is all that I can really think of at this time. I hope that I can find some great advice and opinions on this site. And in turn, I hope that if anybody has any questions about concrete work that I will be able to help out. Have a great day.

CT, welcome to House Repair Talk. Besure to take a lot of pictures. We like pictures. And we will be glad to help or critize as it seems fit. Make yourself at home and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks. I'll be sure to do that. Like I said, it's gonna be a long process with some risks but I think the rewards will be ten fold.

Back