Electrical permit for a church

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jak

Reaction score
I am working in a project for a church that requires an electrical permit. I have been an electrician for 4 years but dont have a journeyman yet. I will be working with a journeyman to complete the project.
The problem is getting the license. I was told we only need a journeyman to get the permit. After applying for the permit I was told we have to have a contractor license. I called and talked to the secretary (the inspector is out for the week) she told me even though everything is being done in house by volunteers we have to have a contractor's license.
Is there any way for volunteers to do work for a church with just a journeyman?

That would be entirely dependent on your area. If you post your location you might get some info that is relevant to you.

Some of the scariest work I have seen, and replaced, in churches was by well meaning (and not so) volunteers and inexperienced people.

First, pray. Second, put out a call among the Christian community for an electrical contractor who would assist you! You will get a lot of help for free. Third, have the contractors look at your skills -- maybe you can land a job!

Back