Driveway Erosion

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parrothead

Reaction score
I have an ongoing problem with my driveway and would be interested in some ideas. I have a gravel driveway that is on an incline, and every time there is any kind of significant rainfall I get a lot of erosion in my driveway and have a miniature Grand Canyon zigzagging down the hill. Any ideas for a cure short of blacktopping or concrete?

Before the drive was laid all the top soil should have been removed and driveway cloth should have been laid to stop the stones from sinking in to far. Then a layer of crush and run is laid down, then toped with #57 stone.
If you have round stones not crush and broken up the stones never get locked in place.
It also should have been crown so the water runs off to the sides not down the middle.

As mentioned the crown is very important. Let it run off to the side continuously. If it's easier it can run off to one side or the other or both. Anything to get if off before it can be enough water to make the canyon. I have a couple of dips in mine to allow the water to run off where I can't run it off to the side. A very shallow dip that isn't unpleasant to drive on. Mine is dirt with a little pea gravel and it holds up for years at a time using the slant, dip and crown.

Latest posts

Back