Need advice on the best way to handle this please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylersloan

Reaction score
Hey ,
I'm new here me and the wife just bought our first home we have lived here for about three months .
Yesterday I was cleaning the gutters and noticed that the bathroom roof looked funny as I inspected it further I seen that the roll out had a dip and the plywood is rotten under it .
The roof measures out to four sq the pitch is roughly 4 . Question is do I have to use roll out again or can I just shingle it ? Reason I ask is because this roof meets with the main roof and that part is a 10/12 pitch and it surrounds the flat roof on two sides

Hey Tyler, welcome to the site. I can't answer your question so I will ask some of my own. This damage may be caused by whats below it instead of bad roofing. How much insulation do you have under that section of roof and is there air flow from the soffit to the peak. How much of a gap between insulation and the sheeting the was rotten. If you are in a colder zone this damage may have been caused by icedam and or roofing overheating in the summer.

I live in Peoria Illinois and can't tell how much insulation but judging by the roof and the bathroom ceiling I'm betting close to none . I'll take pictures tomorrow and post em up

And also about three good inches of wood is gone under the drip edge behind the gutter

Tyler do you have any roofing experience, or do you know someone who does? Also does the bathroom have a exhaust vent?

Oh yea...:welcome: to House Repair Talk!

And here is the damage my hand is actually lifting the drip edge and part of the rotten plywood under the roll out roof .
Question can I re roof this with shingles or will I have to make a steeper pitch ? Really don't want to use roll out again

image-3319458148.jpg

I have done roofs before yes but I don't know it all but I know if I get the right help I can tackle this myself .
Most of my roofing experience is throwing shingles and tare off but I have hand banged a few out . As far as a vent it did till it burnt up the tube coming out of the roof is flush and it looks like there is stuff in side of the vent pipe

Here is the bathroom inside the home would just love to gut it and start from scratch but my pocket book won't allow that right now

As you can see head room is not the best that's why I think raising the pitch would make more since and extend the wall by about 2 1/2 feet up

image-2949106055.jpg

image-57472311.jpg

image-1247721561.jpg

In the photo of the outside, it would appear that the bathroom is an add-on. Is the whole room outside the main barring wall or has part of the wall been removed? I don't see any reason why you couldn't raise the pitch of that roof.

No walls that I know of have been removed but this house has been monkeyed around with since 1950 . It was a one bedroom small house originally and now it's almost 2,200 sq ft I would love to get a structural engineer to take a look at it before I dive in but at last resort I'll call the city .
Really don't want to go there because I know the home has major issues structurally and those will be fixed at the same time I just don't need it condemned in the mean time

If the whole bathroom is outside the original wall there would be no problem raising the outside wall to full height and adding a new shed roof to tie in to the old roof, I would take it right up to the peek behind it in the photo outside.

Thanks that's what I'll do after I get proper permits of course also have to run it by the man I bought the home from . Contract for deed home but he is a nice guy and as long as the work is to code he won't have a problem .
Also going to run cobra vent and do fake shake shingles to get away from the three tab that's on it now

Just got on the roof I have 18 ft from my peak to outside wall roughly and there is no vent for the fan thought there was but it's just the sewer gas escape pipe .
Honestly it's the first roof that kind of made me scared I only weigh a buck and a quarter and the roof was moving under my feet as in up and down im going to lowes to price materials may just farm this job out .

Let me back up again and ask how big is this bathroom and how big is the bump out that is the bathroom. My fear is that some one built a leanto attached the ends of the rafter and then removed part of the wall that support the original rafters. The main roof does appear to sag above that area and would explain the sponge roof when walked on. So in the photo outside we see the corner with a down pipe, measure the wall to the left of that pipe, the one we cannot see. You may find you fan is a direct vent there.

The bump out is 20 IN the length is exactly ten feet . The wall to the left you can't see is 6 ft 3 in took a better picture let me know if you need any more

image-1650592242.jpg

When you go thru that door, just to left, is there a wall running from there to the next addition, how many doors and opening are in that wall? Are there headers in those doorways? Driving a few nails 4" above the door will show whether you have headers.

Wall yes and two door ways standard 32 in all I had handy were two in roofing nails drove them above both doors about three in up they hit nothing .
Question could the whole right side be a add on even though there is a basement under it ? The guy next door did say something about stairs outside to the basement out back at one point in the houses history .

Hit something but had to go up higher than four in take a look at the pictures the first and last is bathroom door the middle is going to the back door on the outside of the house

image-3001979617.jpg

image-3030289921.jpg

image-2039397367.jpg

I was afraid the structure had been compremized by who ever did the add on. In a newer house you would find a double 2x10 header over a door like that. I have seen lots of older houses with a lot less and as we see no stress damage to the plaster on the inside, it is probably ok.
Have you found where the bathroom fan vents?
Have you got access to the attic?
A scary roof that bends a lot when you walk on it could indicate, rafters that are overspanned without enough cross bracing and the fix would be just to add cross bracing from low on one side to center span of the other side.
Worsed case would be that the fan has been pumping water into the attic for years and you could have mold and rot running rampant up there.

Back